Black- eyed pea or bean, a legume that has high nutritional value (calcium, folate, vitamin A, etc) is known as the soul food of the South. This is a wholesome soup with pressed barley (oshi mugi) which gives it a subtle thickness.
- 2 cups black-eyed peas – wash and soak in hot water for ~ an hour (or use fresh shelled or frozen)
- 1/4 cup pressed barley soak with peas
- 1 can/14 oz/411 gm cut tomatoes or 4 large Roma tomatoes dice
- 1 large red onion – chop
- 1/4 cup cilantro – chop
- 1 leek stalk – cut thin round slices (optional)
- 7 cups water
- Food process 5 garlic cloves, 1″ ginger piece, 1/2″ fresh turmeric piece, 1/4″ mango ginger and 1 green chile
- 3 tbsp Mediterranean oil blend/canola,olive,grape seed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp onion seed
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida powder/hing
- ~ 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder (Kashmiri) or to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 3/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice (optional-if tartness required)
- 1 tbsp dry onion flakes
- In a pressure cooker temper cumin, onion seeds and hing in hot oil.
- Reduce heat to medium, add and saute dry onion, cut onion, leek and fresh blend until light golden.
- Add the rest of the seasoning except salt, garam masala and lemon juice.
- Saute 3 – 4 min. Then add black-eyed peas, barley and cut tomatoes. Add 7 cups of water.
- Cook for ~ 15 min. First on high until the steam is released then reduce to medium low.
- Turn of heat. Wait until the cooker has released all the steam before opening it’s lid.
- Add salt and garam masala; cook for a few min more. Mash some of the the peas and tomatoes against the side of the cooker.
- Garnish with cilantro before serving.
- Enjoy with your favorite munches or scoop of cottage cheese!