This soup goes by it self without bread or rice. I usually top it with a scoop of cottage cheese.
- 1 cup Toor Daal
- 1 can washed white bean or 1/2 cup soaked white beans overnight
- 1 can cut tomatoes coarsely blended
- 1/3 to 1/2 Costco spinach chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/3 tsp cumin, 2 or 3 whole dried red chile, 1/4 tsp whole black pepper, 1 small stick of cinnamon, 1/2 tsp chana daal, 1/2 tsp urad daal, 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds, 1 tsp coriander seeds and 1 stem curry leaves.
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 tbsp tamarind pulp or 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1 clove minced garlic optional
Cook toor daal and soaked beans in 4 cups of water in pressure cooker until soft. Add tomatoes, spinach, tomato paste, turmeric, salt and the blended mix. Simmer for 10 to 15 min on medium heat.
Heat 1 1/2 tbsp of oil on medium heat add cumin, chana, urad, black pepper, red chile,coriander, cinnamon, fenugreek and curry leaves until golden. Do not burn! Cool and blend with coconut milk, tamarind pulp and 1/8 tsp raw mustard seeds.
Add water if required to make a medium consistency. Lastly, temper mustard and asafoetida (hing) in 1 tsp of clarified butter and mix it in the thick soup.