Need a quick fix. Pancakes will do the trick, especially ones that are filled with good proteins and carbs. Vegetarians welcome to the Garbanzo Flour Pancake also known as Besan Chila in India. With this batter you have one recipe that will make 3 dishes! Besan chila (Garbanzo Flour Pancake)…Besan fritters (Pakora/Patties)…Besan Uttapa. Feast your eyes below.
- 3 1/2 cups besan (garbanzo flour)
- 4 bell peppers (orange, red, yellow, green–use half of each)
- 1/2 big red onion
- 1 cup edamame green soybeans cooked 2 minutes in microwave
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes
These ingredients chopped and finely blended:
- 2 to 4 green chile, 1 (2inch) ginger piece, 1 small fresh turmeric piece, 1 bunch fresh basil and 2 to 3 cloves garlic
Mix all of the ingredients above in the flour. Add 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp red chile powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp cumin seeds and 1/4 tsp onion seeds (kalaunji), 1/4 of one block crumbled firm tofu ( squeeze to remove excess liqiud), 2 tbsp wheat germ (0ptional).
I–add 1/2 tsp baking powder and fry to make pakoras (fritter balls) by using a spoon or melon baller to put in the hot oil on medium heat. Eat with your favorite sauce, dip or chutney. Savor– crispy, crunchy on the outside and soft inside.
Shallow fry to make patties for sandwiches
II–add 2 tbsp yogurt, 1 tsp oil and little water to make soft pancakes (chila).
III–add 1/2 cup rice powder, 2 tbsp of yogurt and water to make dosa like pancake called uttapa. Adjust salt to taste.