Kheer Medley / Pudding
Indulge! Bal Gopal’s Favorite!
- 1 gallon (3.8 L) milk – 2% or whole milk (I used 2%)
- 1 cup jasmine rice or Basmati – microwave uncovered in 2 cups of water for ~15 min
- 1 1/2 cup makhana (also known as foxnut) – mix with 1 tsp ghee or butter and spread out on a plate to toast in the microwave for ~40 sec (then break into half)
- 1 1/2 cup paneer – crumble like large curds of cottage cheese or make fresh by bringing 1/2 gallon whole milk to a boil, then pour vinegar little at a time until the milk curdles. Wash the large curds with water few times to remove sourness and drain in the cheese cloth.
- 1/2 cup wheat vermicelli – mix with 1 tsp of ghee or butter and toast in microwave for 1 1/2 min (check every 30 sec)
- 1/2 cup yellow raisins and few munakka (big raisins – wash and remove seeds)
- 1/4 cup almond – soak and remove skin (cut in half or slivered)
- 1/2 cup pistachio and cashew – round cut
- 1/4 cup shaved coconut – toast in microwave 1 1/2 min (check every 30 sec)
- 2 tbsp chironji (seeds of Buchanania lanzan plant) – wash
- 1 big piece of ginger – smash just enough to keep it intact
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp cardamon (grind the seeds and saffron in the mortar)
- 1/4 tsp saffron
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg (optional)
- 1 tsp rose water
- 1/2 tsp kewara
- 1 1/2 to 1 2/3 cup sugar – or add sweeteners of your choice (better options available in the market)
- 1 can evaporated milk (optional)
- In a sauce pan heat 1 tbsp butter and lightly toast almonds, pistachios, cashews, chironji and raisins – then add the cardamon/saffron until the smell comes through. Keep it aside.
- Bring milk to a boil on medium heat by stirring constantly so it does not burn. Can also microwave in a big glass bowl for ~20 min or more.
- Add ginger – stir for 10 min.
- Then add cooked rice, makhana, paneer – stir for 15 min.
- Add evaporated milk,vermicelli, sugar and toasted mixture for another 15 min.
- Remove ginger piece.
- Reduction by 1/4 is sufficient as it thickens when it cools.
- Last add coconut, rose water and kewara.
- If the pudding thickens just add little milk.
Garnish with powdered pistachio and verk (thin silver leaf) or top it of with your favorite berries and fruits or favorite sweets – gulab jamun, burfi, laddu, chumchum, halwa, cake, pie, muffin, etc. I have tried the kheer with chocolate cake and loved it.
- Can also add tapioca pearls if desired.
- Rice (coarsely broken) – soak and cook directly in milk, but need to stir constantly to avoid burning the milk. Otherwise, microwave for intervals of 15 min and stir each time.
- I prefer using milk than evaporated milk so that the flavors of all ingredients come through in the pudding.