Bitter Melon (Karela) Chips on the GO
Bitter melon, karela, is widely appreciated in Asia even with its’ bitter strong taste! Because of its’ healing benefits, health spas serve pure karela juice for those who are diabetic and other health issues.
According to many studies Bitter Melon has properties to control the production of insulin, which may lower blood sugar levels for diabetics.
Karela is cooked in many various ways, here I will make chips.
- 4 bitter melon – wash, cut thin round slices
- 2 tbsp natural tamarind pulp
- 1 tbsp MDH’S Tava Fry Masala
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (optional)
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients and keep aside for 15 min.
- Spread seasoned karela slices on two Pam sprayed baking pan (try not to overlap them)
- Option 1: Preheat oven 375* and bake in the oven for ~ 40 min.
- Option 2: Slow fry both sides on a skillet on low heat and then microwave for a min to get a chewy bite.
- Enjoy the chips on the go or top it on a salad, bhel (chaat), sabjis, yogurt, etc.
Karela is a summertime vegetable. If you are interested in purchasing home made chip packets for the next month (August 2012). <INTERESTED? COMMENT WITH YOUR EMAIL>