Halloween Pumpkin Pudding with Spooky Blackberries
Don’t be a scaredy cat this holiday and settle for mere mortal treats. Tonight IronAmma dares you to find a new way to dine on the guts of pumpkins and raven eye blackberries! BUT! Be wary the ghosts of boring pumpkin pies! For this Hallow’s Eve your dessert beckons for new blood and tricks. BOO!!!
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cup milk (can use cream or evaporated milk depending on how rich desired – I used milk)
- 2 cups cooked pumpkin scraps* (Preparation:*Scrape the inside of a pumpkin that has a fibrous texture to get pumpkin scraps. Then place 3 cups of the pumpkin scraps into the microwave covered with 4 tbsp butter and 4 tbsp honey for 4 min)
- 2 cup caramelized pumpkin scraps* (Preparation:*Scrape the inside of a pumpkin to get 3 cups pumpkin scraps and then place in the microwave covered with 1/2 cup brown sugar for 4 min)
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
- ~ 4 big slices of rustic sour dough bread, any baguette or 6 pieces of raisin bread
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (optional)
- 1 /4 cup real maple syrup (use 1/3 cup for more sweet)
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl.
- Blend 2 cups cooked pumpkin+milk+maple syrup on medium speed and last pulse in the ricotta.
- Mix pumpkin blend+spices with eggs.
- Pour the mixture in the buttered or canola sprayed 3 quart casserole dish.
- Break the bread into big pieces, place and soak them in the casserole dish.
- Top it with the berries and caramelized pumpkin.
- Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for ~ 15 min to soak.
- Preheat oven to 350*. Bake for 40 min. Insert a knife and when it comes out clean, the pudding is ready.
- Cool and top with whipping cream.
- EGGLESS (Eegan) – Add ~3 tbsp of corn starch or use fruit pectin (Kraft brand). There are many egg replacers (egg substitutes) in the market that can be found in the aisle of allergen free products and mixes. Also, online!