Ridged Gourd (Torai/Chinese Okra) & Coconut Chutney
Ridged Gourd is full of nutrients and low in calories. Making a spicy condiment with torai will definitely compliment the taste of dosa, roti, rice, fritters or even pasta. Sweet, hot and tangy – enjoy!
- 1 large size Torai – Your choice to use skin (cut thick) or whole – (chop and microwave covered for 3 to 4 min.)
- 1 1/3 cups grated coconut
- 5 to 6 Thai chiles (mix of green and red) or to taste
- 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp natural concentrated tamarind pulp
- 1 stem curry leaves
- 1/4 bunch cilantro chopped
- 1 small piece ginger chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4″ piece fresh turmeric
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad daal
- 3/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds (optional)
- 3/4 tsp sea salt or to taste
Temper mustard and urad in hot oil, reduce heat, then add fenugreek, asafoetida, chiles and curry leaves. Add and sear torai for few minutes. Cool.
Blend all the ingredients by adding water little at a time – coconut, cilantro, ginger, fresh turmeric, garlic, salt, tamarind and the cool mixture.