Bottle Gourd (LOKI – Squash) with Tofu Sabji
Light in calories, a cooling vegetable with many health benefits. Loki, squash, is a vitamin rich vegetable that can lead to a healthy heart. For all us South Asians this recipe will cut the cholesterol out of your diet and increase your health.
This recipe is a tribute to The South Asian Heart Center at El Camino Hospital, which has created awareness for the epidemic of heart disease in the South Asian community.
- 1 medium Loki (skin scraped/ cubed) and microwave covered in 1/4 cup water for 4 min
- 3 to 4 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 large firm tofu cubed
- Fresh blend: ginger, fresh turmeric, garlic, sweet peppers, green chili, 1/4 red onion (blend in food processor)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Temper cumin in oil, reduce heat, add asafoetida, turmeric, chili, coriander, 2 tbsp fresh blend and tofu. Saute for about 4 min.
- Add salt, tomatoes, loki and cook for about 10 min. on medium low heat. Garnish with cilantro.