Green Beans with Chana Daal Palya/Sabji
I have learnt this palya from my Mother-in-Law who cooks amazing food as her main ingredient is love. She usually adds different peas or beans like black-eye or shelled beans of broad, round or curved green beans. Here I will use chana daal instead of the above.
- 3 cups diced green beans
- ~ 3 to 4 tbsp chana daal – wash and soak in hot water for 15 min
- 4 to 5 Thai green chilies – slit in halves
- 3 to 4 curry leaves – julienne cut
- fresh blend of 1/2″ ginger and 1/4″ turmeric – use small food processor
- 1/4 cup fresh grated coconut or frozen
- 1/2 lemon – juice
- 3 tbsp cilantro – mince
- ~ 4 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad daal
- 1/3 tsp asafoetida powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- ~ 1 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 2 tsp palya powder (optional – should be added after the beans are cooked)
- Temper mustard and urad, then add asafoetida, green chilies, curry leaves and fresh blend for ~ a min.
- Reduce heat and add soaked chana daal.
- Saute for ~ 3 min before adding the green beans.
- Add water and turmeric – stir and cook for ~ 12 min on medium.
- Add salt after 6 min of cooking.
- Cross cover the lid and stir in between to retain the green color of the beans.
- When the beans are soft and tender add coconut and lemon juice – stir.
- Turn of heat and garnish with cilantro.
- Enjoy with flat bread or rice.
- Sprinkle coconut to individual serving for those who like it rather than adding it in the whole dish!